NRA says if we outlaw assault weapons, then only outlaws will have assault weapons. Assault weapons are not effectively banned now.
What do we have now? Do outlaws have guns?
Look at the score for the last year in the continental United States:
Terrorism in the United States from Outlaws: 66
Terrorism in the United States from al Qaeda: 0
- Alger, Washington. September 2008. A mentally ill man who had been released from jail a month earlier shoots eight people, killing six.
- Covina, California. December 2008. A man dressed in a Santa Claus suit opens fire at a family Christmas party at his ex-wife's home and then sets fire to the house. Nine people are killed in the home. The gunman later kills himself.
- Geneva County and Coffee County, Alabama. March 12 2009. In a shooting spree that tears through several towns, a 28-year-old out-of-work man kills 10 people, including his mother and a toddler.
- Oakland California. March 21, 2009. A 27-year-old Oakland resident shoots four Oakland police officers to death.
- North Carolina. March 29, 2009. A heavily-armed gunman shoots dead eight people, many elderly and sick patients, in a North Carolina nursing home.
- Santa Clara, California, March 30, 2009. Six people are shot dead in an apparent murder-suicide at a home in an upscale Silicon Valley neighborhood.
- Binghamton, New York. April 3, 2009. Up to 13 people are killed as a gunman goes on a rampage at a civic center in the town of Binghamton.