Thursday, October 14, 2010

Hillary Speaks up on Progressive Taxation!!!

When I heard Hillary Clinton's voice on BBC this morning, I woke up with a start. She was saying:
It's absolutely unacceptable for those with means in [inaudible] not to be doing their fair share to help their own people while taxpayers in Europe, the United States and other contributing countries are all chipping in....The most important step [inaudible] can take is to pass meaningful reforms to expand its tax base. [Inaudible] cannot have a tax rate of 9 per cent of GDP when land owners and all the other elites do not pay anything or pay so little it’s laughable. The government must require that the economically affluent and elite support the government and people of [inaudible].
I was excited. I thought she was speaking of my own, native, banana republic. Then as I became fully awake, I discovered she was just talking about Pakistan.

The BBC's Syed Shoaib Hasan in Islamabad went on next to explain that Pakistan's tax system has come in for a great deal of criticism in recent years. Tax collection remains abysmal, he said, and Pakistan's elite routinely evade taxation by using political influence. The worst offenders include landlords and industrialists, some of whom are part of the current government.

Well, I'm still glad Hillary spoke up. I just think she could have gone further. Maybe she could have gone a little global?

4 comments:

  1. Maybe all her war-hawk rantings were about Pakistan too? She wanted Pakistan to attack Iraq, and wants Pakistan to get out of the Occupied Territories. Maybe she suspects Lewinsky is Pakistani.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dammit Vigil, can't you be a little nice to the corporate elite in this country, they are people too. Especially since the Surpremes ruled the way they did on the Citizens United case.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am being nice, Beach. I accord them respect that is due. I now refer to our banana republic as the United Corporations of Amerika. (That's U.C.A. for short.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. She might still run the whole of the show better... [ok, i'm bracing for incoming!] LOL 3 of my fav blogsters. all about to send me some flack?

    Vig, where are your election posts? I absolutely agree with your designation, Vigil. U.C.A. makes the only sense left.

    ReplyDelete