Tuesday, August 5, 2008

War Made Easy - Film at 11


War Made Easy
reaches into the Orwellian memory hole to expose a 50-year pattern of government deception and media spin that has dragged the United States into one war after another from Vietnam to Iraq. Narrated by actor and activist Sean Penn, the film exhumes remarkable archival footage of official distortion and exaggeration from LBJ to George W. Bush, revealing in stunning detail how the American news media have uncritically disseminated the pro-war messages of successive presidential administrations.

Guided by media critic Norman Solomon’s meticulous research and tough-minded analysis, the film presents disturbing examples of propaganda and media complicity from the present alongside rare footage of political leaders and leading journalists from the past, including Lyndon Johnson, Richard Nixon, Defense Secretary Robert McNamara, dissident Senator Wayne Morse, and news correspondents Walter Cronkite and Morley Safer.

Order this DVD. Where else can you get 72 minutes of truth for $20?

6 comments:

  1. I'm thinking I'm going to have to buy this DVD, Coleen. (I have a whole list of friends who need to be borrowing it from me.)

    BTW, for those young, flat-bellies among my legions of readers, the first image that appears on this clip is that of Senator Wayne L. Morse, maverick (for reals!) senator from Oregon for 24 years. Senator Morse actively opposed McCarthyism from the get-go. And in early August 1964, Morse was one of only two senators to vote against the infamous Tonkin Gulf resolution.

    Old companions publicly ridiculed him and one newspaper wrote that Senator Morse was the loneliest man in Washington. My own father (GRHS) loved to call him "Wayne-kicked-in-the-head-Morse". I didn't give a shit: Wayne Morse was a hero to me. Him, and J. William Fulbright. History validated them, didn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for info about this video. I'm sure not going to find out this stuff from corporate media. I'll put info up about this on my sidebar and let people know I got it from you. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the way it should be MacDaddy! That's the way we bloggers can pick up the slack from the MSM, and get the real news out. And, speaking of slacking, that's what I realize I have been doing, by not up-dating my blog roll. (I'll take care of that now!) You have a GR8 site going. Your sidebar is awesome! Two blogs in one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Regarding Skip, a system isn't human, and I believe human beings can change their habits and beliefs. I happen to think Obama's tire gauge comment represents a sea change in the way politicians address our problems; with observation and science. I'm willing to hope.

    ReplyDelete