According to WikiPedia, limousine liberal, A.K.A.,
- latte liberal
- limousine leftist
- learjet liberal
- lakefront liberal
- Lexus liberal
- MasterCard Marxist
- parlor pink, and
- white wine socialist
Wikipedia traces limosene liberal back to a pejorative conservative term used to describe Republican Mayor John Lindsay and his wealthy Manhattan backers during a 1969 campaign.
It was a populist epithet, carrying an implicit accusation that the people it described were insulated from all negative consequences of their programs intended to benefit the poor, and that the costs and consequences of such programs would be borne in the main by working class or lower middle class people who were not so poor as to be beneficiaries themselves.... criticized Lindsay for favoring unemployed blacks over working-class whites.I may be wrong, but it's always seemed to me to imply:
- a tacit admission of a state of de facto class warfare, and
- limousine liberals were class traitors.
In this 2008 election year, class traitors have been uncovered in the ranks of the Republican Party. Some prominent Republicans, concerned with salvaging their personal credibility and integrity have offered criticisms of the
- Charles Krauthammer's "wet-fingered conservatives leaping to Barack Obama"
- Jim Nuzzo's (a White House aide to the first President Bush) "cocktail party conservatives [giving] aid and comfort to the enemy" and "dead people in the Republican Party".
- Anonymous White House source's "Benedicts"
Well, all I can say on this point is more is to come. I felt the need for a G.O.P. program so I can track all of the present and future players. I found one from the New York Times, vintage 2005. I have placed it in MMA, for future reference.