Friday, July 13, 2007

I Listened to the President's News Conference Yesterday

Because I was curious.

He was explaining how and why getting 8 out of 18 benchmarks on his mid-term report card in this new SURGING 101 'course' he's teaching Iraqis and Americans (together!), amounts to a passing grade. This what I heard him say.
. . . . I understand why the American people are -- you know, they're tired of the war. There is -- people are -- there is a war fatigue in America. It's affecting our psychology. I've said this before. . . . . Those are all legitimate questions that I'm sure historians will analyze. . . . . history is going to look back to determine whether or not there might have been a different decision made. . . . . . .You know, I guess I'm like any other political figure -- everybody wants to be loved, just sometimes the decisions you make and the consequences don't enable you to be loved. And so when it's all said and done, Ed, if you ever come down and visit the old, tired, me down there in Crawford, I will be able to say I looked in the mirror and made decisions based upon principle, not based upon politics. And that's important to me.
Hearing this, deepened my understanding.

My country
president right or wrong. When right, to be kept right; when wrong, to be put right out.

13 comments:

  1. Possibly.

    BTW, even with grade inflation, 8 outta 18 is only 44%.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bush is getting more disgusting everyday! I can't stand to listen to him or watch him! He makes me sick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The idea that he is going to be admired one day is the only thing he's got now.

    I think Hitler said the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 44% is the highest grade Shrub has ever gotten.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If his report card had been subjected to the same degree of fact-checking as Michael Moore's Sicko movie, Bush's score would have been 22.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You actually take the time to watch this crook?

    ReplyDelete
  7. (I feel so busted.) No, truthfully, I just read his comments from the White House transcripts. My dog doesn't let me watch television any more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And so when it's all said and done, Ed, if you ever come down and visit the old, tired, me down there in Crawford, I will be able to say I looked in the mirror and made decisions based upon principle, not based upon politics.
    Translation should read: When my time is done I can drop this mess in that Hillary or Obama's lap and blame them while I sit in the easy chair at Crawford.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Abu Sarhan, a 37-year-old Sunni insurgent, backs up Beach's comment:

    The American president insisting on fighting al-Qaeda, or saying that al-Qaeda is the problem in Iraq, is just like someone who is insisting on taking diabetes medicine while he has a cardiac problem. . . intentional misdiagnosis. . . Any person in the position of the American president, who has drawn himself a certain path, would be very embarrassed to change that track and confess that he has been wrong. Unless he loves his people more than he loves himself. Only then could he confess his wrongdoing for the sake of his people.

    Washington Post

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here's another report card on Bush's occupation. This one comes from Iraqis themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Pittsburgh Tribune Review, owned by Richard Mellon Scaife, says in an editorial that Bush's recent news conference on Iraq that it's a

    prescription for American suicide. . . . And quite frankly, during last Thursday's news conference, when George Bush started blathering about 'sometimes the decisions you make and the consequences don't enable you to be loved,' we had to question his mental stability. . . President Bush warns that U.S. withdrawal would risk 'mass killings on a horrific scale.' What do we have today, sir?

    If the president won't do the right thing and end this war, the people must. The House has voted to withdraw combat troops from Iraq by April. The Senate must follow suit.

    Our brave troops should take great pride that they rid Iraq of Saddam Hussein. And they should have no shame in leaving Iraq. For it will not be, in any way, an exercise in tail-tucking and running.

    America has done its job. It's time for the Iraqis to do theirs.

    ReplyDelete